Sci-Fi-Fantasy Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sci-Fi-Fantasy Fans

A Home for Fans of Science Fiction and Fantasy Novels, Movies & Games

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

While he calls Privet Drive Home?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Vik
Druid
Vik

Number of posts : 572
Humor : "One pretty woman means fun at the dance. Two pretty women mean trouble in the house."
Registration date : 2008-06-09

While he calls Privet Drive Home? Empty
PostSubject: While he calls Privet Drive Home?   While he calls Privet Drive Home? Icon_minitimeSun 14 Dec 2008, 12:43 am

After re-reading Deathly Hallows and re-listening to the CD's multiple times, I don't see how I missed this so many time.

Lily's protection for Harry had a few inclusive joinders as to how this protection works. They are:
  • He must dwell where the blood of his mother dwells and,
  • He must be able to call this place home

My problem here is that Harry never considerede Privet Drive as his home after his first year at Hogwarts. So if one of the joinders inclusive to his protection no longer exists then how is it that his protection remained for his last six years?
Back to top Go down
https://sci-fi-fantasyfan.forumotion.com
Colonel Link
Ard Rhys (High Druid)
Colonel Link

Male Number of posts : 65
Humor : .............I'm funny?
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: While he calls Privet Drive Home?   While he calls Privet Drive Home? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Dec 2008, 9:06 pm

I always wondered at that. "As long as you call this place home" is really incorrect, as Hogwarts was his real home.
Back to top Go down
http://www.guide2games.org
Vik
Druid
Vik

Humor : "One pretty woman means fun at the dance. Two pretty women mean trouble in the house."

PostSubject: Re: While he calls Privet Drive Home?   While he calls Privet Drive Home? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Dec 2008, 9:54 pm

Exactly! Harry never thought of Privet Drive as home anymore after his first year. It's always been "Hogwarts is my home now..." And, "Where your mothers blood dwells," could also include Harry too. meaning Harry considered his home as Hogwarts and he himself carries Lily's blood so therefore, Hogwarts was his real protection. So how is it that he had to return to Privet Drive every year for X-amount of time when in a since, Hogwarts sufficed to meet all three joinders for his protection.
Back to top Go down
Storm
Fly Swatter
Storm

Female Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-06-09

PostSubject: Re: While he calls Privet Drive Home?   While he calls Privet Drive Home? Icon_minitimeTue 09 Jun 2009, 3:20 am

Petunia and Dudley possess Lily's blood too. And since Harry was a minor his home was with his legal guardians, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Vik
Druid
Vik

PostSubject: Re: While he calls Privet Drive Home?   While he calls Privet Drive Home? Icon_minitimeWed 10 Jun 2009, 6:13 pm

But, Harry never considered Privet Drive as his home after his first year. And as the spell / protection worked he had to consider Privet Dr., as his home, which he did not after his first year. Also, Lily never considered Hogwarts as her home so that wouldn't work either. So how is it that Harry, not considering Privet Dr., as his home remain protected for all those years while under Uncle Vernon's roof?
Back to top Go down
Storm
Fly Swatter
Storm

PostSubject: Re: While he calls Privet Drive Home?   While he calls Privet Drive Home? Icon_minitimeThu 11 Jun 2009, 4:13 am

Writer's liberties?

He may not have called it home but deep down he knew it was "house room" as Dumbledore called it. When you think of it there aren't many teens who like their homes. I know Harry was more mistreated than most but like it or not, it was his home. And that's where Lily's blood resided - in Petunia and Dudley. When they left and Harry left with no intention of returning the spell broke.

But then it may just be one of those issues JKR wasn't able to work out. In that case it's because she said so. lol
Back to top Go down
Vik
Druid
Vik

PostSubject: Re: While he calls Privet Drive Home?   While he calls Privet Drive Home? Icon_minitimeFri 12 Jun 2009, 10:27 pm

Perhaps so, yet while she did set the rules or rather Dumbledore did, Harry still had to call the house home or at least feel as if it were home yet he did niether of those.
Back to top Go down
Storm
Fly Swatter
Storm

PostSubject: Re: While he calls Privet Drive Home?   While he calls Privet Drive Home? Icon_minitimeSun 14 Jun 2009, 3:06 pm

But he still kept coming back to Privet Dr. So even though he felt more at home at Hogwart's, the Weasley's, and Grimmald Place, Privit Dr. was his real home.

I'm not disagreeing with you though. I was thinking the same thing the first time it was mentioned that Harry really felt at home at Hogwarts - the first place he ever felt that way. But his 'feeling' at home and a place called home are two different things. Everytime Harry thought of leaving the wizarding world his mind thought of Privet Dr. and how it would be to return there; and how much he was looking forward to being free of it when he became an adult.

No matter how cruel the Dursleys were to Harry they were still his family. He fought to protect Dudley from the dementors and he kept pushing Vernon to accept protection in Deathly Hallows. He could have left them without protection but then he would have had to save them anyway. Even though they disliked each other Harry respected the fact that they were family and he honored his mother by protecting them even though they wouldn't have done so much for him. They were his family and their home was his.
Back to top Go down
Vik
Druid
Vik

PostSubject: Re: While he calls Privet Drive Home?   While he calls Privet Drive Home? Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2009, 2:08 am

I gave some thought to this and have listened to the tapes once again and heard something that Ithink we've all misconstrued. What I was looking for was the section where the rules of Harry's protection were spelled out and there it said he has to be ableto call Privet Drive as home. I remeber reading that and I've heard it over and over again. But, where we all knew the rules stated clearly that he had to call Privet Drive as home. Tthe key word that I know I just totally dismissed was ABLE to call Privet Drive as home.

It's also be stress as able to call it home and I think we never saw the word able. I had forgotten this thread until Storm posted and have been listening to my tapes after a few years and heard it clearly te "Harry must be able to call rivet Drive home and he has always been able to but never vconsidered it as home
Back to top Go down
Storm
Fly Swatter
Storm

PostSubject: Re: While he calls Privet Drive Home?   While he calls Privet Drive Home? Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2009, 11:13 pm

Ah! So it is! I think I had missed that also. Problem solved!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: While he calls Privet Drive Home?   While he calls Privet Drive Home? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

While he calls Privet Drive Home?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sci-Fi-Fantasy Fans :: Book Talk :: Book Talk :: Harry Potter-
Jump to: